This guide is for static HTML based websites. For other frontend/backend framewroks like ReactJS, AngularJS, WordPress or Laravel, we may follow different approach for assets management. But if you get a good idea and general perspective here, you should be able grasp idea of a good assets management for any other web development project in general.
We have covered followings in this video:
- Understanding Website/Project Root Directory
- Understanding Folder Structure
- Understanding File Hierarchy (Order)
- Naming Files and Folders
- Understanding File Paths
- Linking Assets
- Inside root directory keep your web pages and have a single ‘assets’ folder.
- Keep all files and folder names in small case letters.
- Inside assets folder, have other relevant folders e.g. images, styles, scripts, fonts, media and more if you need to
- Keep same type of files in recognizable folder named appropriately for those specific files