Notepad++ is an advanced notepad. Yeah I know there is also Textpad but thats not for free. Although Textpad offers many good features in which line numbers, search and replace, editig multiple documents editing I use mostly but there is a great feature in Notepad++ which kicks whatever.
Notepad++ is a free source code editor and Notepad replacement that supports several languages. Running in the MS Windows environment, its use is governed by GPL Licence.
Features of Notepad++
- If you have a colour printer, print your source code (or whatever you want) in colour
- It allows user to define his own language
- You can edit several documents at the same time
- You have two views at same time. That means you can visualize (edit) 2 different documents at the same time
- You can search and replace one string in the document by using the regular expression
- You can open a document by drag & drop. You can also move your document from a position (or even a view) to another by drag & drop
- Zoom in and zoom out document
- You can save several macros and edit their keyboard shorcuts for the next use
You can open two documents parallel to each other and compare changes in between those. Notepad++ highlights changes in newly opened documents then its neighbor. Lets say we have two CSS files and we have done some changes to it. Its old version is saved somewhere else. You just have to open both files and compare changes easily.